Besides all the the obvious awesome things about summer (the weather, barbecues, beach life, camping, etc.), one of my favorite things about summer food-wise is the influx of fresh fruit and veggies. Farmer’s markets are flush with sweet berries, watermelon, tomatoes and all kinds of goodness!
This Summer Berry Superfood Salad recipe takes full advantage of the summer harvest and it’s really easy to make. Chock-full of berries, quinoa and fresh goodness- this salad tastes as good as it looks. It’s the perfect summer lunch or side dish to bring to your neighbor’s potluck.
• SUMMER BERRY SUPERFOOD SALAD •
- 1/2 cup strawberries, sliced
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 1/2 cup raspberries
- 1 small avocado, sliced
- 1/4 cup uncooked quinoa (cooking the quinoa will make 1 cup cooked)
- 3 cups cruciferous crunch*
- 5 cups mixed greens
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- drizzle of aged balsamic vinegar*
- salt and pepper to taste
- Boil water and cook quinoa according to the directions (about 15 minutes).
- While quinoa is cooking, slice strawberries and avocado.
- Add all ingredients, except oil and vinegar, to a medium-size bowl.
- Let quinoa cool for 5 minutes.
- Add quinoa to bowl.
- Drizzle olive oil and balsamic on salad.
- Mix everything together.
- Eat, drink, and be merry!