Mandala. The Rocks.
Glimmering luxury villa in Uluwatu perched on the rocks overlooking Impossibles surf break.
Uluwatu, in Bali’s southwest region, is a long standing favorite among surfers, bohemian nomads, and luxury travelers alike. The rocky coastline gives way to dramatic vistas and dazzles with stunning sunsets nearly every night. Mandala. The Rocks. is an eclectic, modern, funky, and retro private villa – yes, all of those things at the same time – perfect for groups looking for prime surf real estate with a heavy dose of style.
Located literally on “the rocks” leading into the water, the villa faces one of Bali’s most iconic waves: Impossibles. The coveted surf-in, surf-out access of the property, near Bingin Beach, gives you easy access to the waves anytime of day, no commute required.
Uluwatu is one of Bali’s most popular destinations with crowds descending on the well known spots but at The Rocks, you have your own (read: very private) slice of paradise.
The rocky-shore adjacent villa features ultra sleek architecture accented by pops of teal and pink, rattan furniture, terrazzo bathrooms, and abstract art. Imagine if beachy Malibu met up with modern Miami and joined forces with retro Palm Springs. All six en-suite rooms have a terrace and slightly different looks – each with ocean views, of course.
VIBE: Retro-modern beach house
LOCALE: Surf-in, surf-out
ROOMS: 6 king ensuite bedrooms / sleeps 12
FAMILY FRIENDLY: Best suited for adults (and older kids) due to the location
CLOSEST AIRPORT: Denpasar International Airport (DPS)
PRICING: $949 – $1,265 per night
Easy on the eyes with a minimal yet eclectic design. Pops of color are carried throughout without feeling overdone while the whitewashed floors and walls anchor the space. Extra points for the panoramic views, clifftop gym, vinyl library, and Sonos sound system.
Located between Bingin and Padang Padang (and don’t forget about Impossibles in the front yard), this beach house is all about location, location, location. Start and end your days on the waterfront terrace – smoothies by morning and brewskis by evening.
Eat & Drink
Take your pick from Uluwatu’s many trendy cafes – or if you prefer to stay in, a chef can be arranged (gourmet breakfast is included each morning). Mandala’s sister venue is the beach club Ulu Cliffhouse, so if you’re keen to visit they can arrange for priority bookings and a special deal.
The Southern Indian Ocean supplies Bali with consistent solid swells, so surf can be found year-round. That said, the cooler dry season from May to September is the best time for Bali’s famous Bukit Peninsula on the southwest coast (although any time of year is suitable for beginners). Mandala is a dream locale for surfers, as you’re within easy walking (and scouting) distance of three premiere Bukit breaks. Live the dream and surf check from the balcony off your room in the morning. Impossibles is at your doorstep, Bingin to your right, and Padang Padang (AKA Balinese Pipeline) to your left.
WATER TEMP: 77 – 86 °F (25 – 30 °C)
PEAK SURF SEASON: May – Sept
SHOULDER SURF SEASON: Oct – Apr
SURF EXPERIENCE: This location is best for intermediate to advanced surfers (depending on the season), but beginner lessons are available nearby as well.
Stays include roundtrip airport transfers, gourmet breakfast, daily housekeeping, professional chef, concierge, turndown service, 24/7 support, and a mixologist on speed dial.
CHECK IN: 3 pm
CHECK OUT: 12 pm
– LOW SEASON // Jan 9 – Mar 31, Oct 16 – Dec 15 // $949
– MID SEASON // Apr 1 – Jun 30, Sept 1 – Oct 15 // $1,075
– HIGH SEASON // Jul 1 – Aug 31, Dec 16 – Jan 8 // $1,265
* All prices inclusive of 15% tax and service
Good to Know
– The villa includes a clifftop gym, vinyl library and turntable, integrated Sonos sound system, Mandala’s curated guide to Uluwatu and Bali, discounts and VIP at their sister venues, and surf, yoga, and fitness instructors on call. A full spa menu is available for in-villa treatments, or transfers to local spas can be arranged.
– While the villa technically allows kids, it’s better suited to adult groups because access to the house is via a path with many steps that descends down to the magnificent beachfront location.
Fly into Denpasar International Airport (DPS) and a Mandala rep will pick you up at the airport and whisk you away to the Bukit. The drive to Mandala. The Rocks. is around 45 minutes to an hour depending on traffic.
* As an Airbnb Associate, we may earn when you book through a link on our site. There is never an additional cost to you, and as 1% for the Planet members, we donate a portion of our earnings to nonprofits that support our oceans and the environment. Thank you for supporting Lush Palm – this helps us stay ad-free and continue to create fresh content and helpful guides.