Nirbana Surf & Yoga Retreat
All-inclusive surf and yoga retreats at a riverside colonial-modern villa in southwest Sri Lanka.
Located on a small island along a serene river waterway in Ahangama (near Weligama), Nirbana offers surf and yoga retreats at a lovely colonial-inspired villa. With mellow vibes and most things taken care of during your stay, this is the perfect place to relax, recharge, and get away from it all.
Stays include daily surf lessons (or guided surfs for more advanced surfers), daily yoga with meditation and pranayama, delicious healthy meals (all but one dinner), a Sri Lankan cooking class, SUP yoga sessions on the river, and more.
About an 8-minute drive from the closest surf breaks, Nirbana has easy access to the waves, yet enjoys a mellow location tucked away in the countryside. With only 12 rooms, the boutique property has an intimate feel, but with plenty of space to yourself if you want some alone time mixed in. Enjoy the river-view garden, lounge around the 25-meter swimming pool, or in a comfy chair on your veranda.
Most activities and local transportation are included in your stay – there is a schedule of daily yoga and surf sessions and you’re welcome to join in (or opt out) at your leisure. The on-site hosts and pro-instructors are super welcoming and can help with all of your needs during your stay – whether you’re interested in a holistic massage or to explore the nearby World Heritage site of Galle Fort, you’ll be well taken care of at this boutique slice of paradise.
VIBE: Surf, yoga, chill, repeat
LOCALE: Tropical riverside hideaway
ROOMS: 12 guest rooms
FAMILY FRIENDLY: Yes
CLOSEST AIRPORT: Bandaranaike International Airport in Colombo (CMB)
PRICING: $1,090 – $2,390 per person per week
Spacious suites are understated and feature local art and color tones inspired by the surrounding riverside jungle. Ensuite bathrooms have walk-in rain showers, and rooms are equipped with air-conditioning, wifi, toiletries, hairdryer, safe, and filtered water.
Set on a small island on an inland river waterway, the property is surrounded by lush tropical foliage. Beautiful open-air communal spaces and yoga shala look out onto the palm-lined 25-meter swimming pool and riverside gardens. It’s a short 8-minute drive to the closest waves.
Eat & Drink
The talented chefs whip up excellent and health-inspired meals for breakfast, lunch, and dinner with a focus on fresh veggies and local seafood. All meals are included in your stay (except one dinner so you can explore a local restaurant).
In southwest Sri Lanka, the high season is roughly November to April. This time of year brings the best conditions for surfing, so the area comes to life with visiting surfers. May through September is the offseason, and while many breaks aren’t working due to unfavorable winds and swell, there’s still some fun surf to be had. The conditions in Weligama Bay are perfect for beginners year round, so if you’re just learning to surf, any time of year is a great time for a trip.
WATER TEMP: 80 – 84°F (27 – 29°C)
PEAK SURF SEASON: Nov – Apr
SHOULDER SURF SEASON: Aug – Oct
SURF EXPERIENCE: Beginner to advanced
Weekly retreats include:
– 7 nights accommodation
– Daily breakfast, light lunch, and 2-course dinner (6 nights a week)
– Daily surf lesson or guiding
– Daily yoga with meditation and pranayama
– Unlimited drinking water
– Sri Lankan cooking class
– Guided river paddle board session or canoe ride
– Stand up paddle board yoga sessions and adventures on the river
– 1 stand up paddle board ocean experience (late Nov-March only)
Rates below are per person for 7-night retreats (double occupancy or for those wishing to share a room as a shared occupancy). 5- or 10-night retreats and single occupancy rates are available upon request. Please inquire for more details.
Poolside / Shala & Garden / River View
– Low Season (May, June, July, Sept): $1,090 / $1,330 / $1,280
– Shoulder Season (Aug, Oct, Nov, Apr): $1,210 / $1,330 / $1,420
– High Season (Dec, Jan, Feb, Mar*): $1,370 / $1,505 / $1,605
– Peak Season (Dec 14 – Jan 11): $1,630 / $1,790 / $1,910
* excluding peak season
Good to Know
Nirbana has multiple activities and excursions available at an extra charge such as holistic spa treatments and sightseeing day tours to national parks, Galle Fort, whale watching, turtle conservation, tea plantations, and temple/spiritual sightseeing experiences.
The Small Print
Full booking terms and conditions will be provided when booking.
A 20% deposit is due to secure a reservation, and the remaining 80% balance will be due in full 45 days prior to your check-in date.
Cancellations must be received in writing.
Cancellations will be refunded along the following terms:
– 45 days prior to check-in date: full refund, minus processing fees
– 31 days prior to check-in date: 50% refund
– 30 days or less prior to check-in date: no refund