Soul & Surf Sri Lanka
Ahangama, Sri Lanka
All-inclusive luxury surf and yoga retreats for all levels at a modern tropical locale in Sri Lanka.
Set amid a lush tropical jungle on the southwest coast of Sri Lanka, Soul & Surf‘s 7-day surf and yoga retreats check all the boxes and then some. Tropical paradise, check. Fun warm water surf, check. Yoga classes designed specifically for surfers, check. Exotic locale, yep.
A typical day at Soul & Surf goes something like this: yoga, surf, eat, chill, repeat… Start your morning with a vinyasa yoga class overlooking the lush jungle, followed by caffeine and pre-surf snacks, then a surf, followed by a delicious big communal breakfast, chill time around the pool, delicious lunch, more chill time, sunset surf session, and delicious dinner. Not to mention the non-stop flow of good company and awesome vibes.
If it sounds like surf yoga heaven that’s because it is. Everything is taken care of so you can be free to truly kickback and just revel in the awesomeness.
The property and lodge are stunning, with views to match. Set on a tea and coconut estate, the lodge is surrounded by 12 private acres of organic tea bushes, coconut trees, and wild jungle. The retreat was built by local hands using sustainable materials from the area, and the location has a secluded, peaceful feel, yet it’s only a 10-minute tuk tuk ride from Kabalana Beach and the wave-rich coast.
Soul & Surf Sri Lanka welcomes surfers of all levels. Many guests of the retreat are in the beginning stages of learning to surf, but the nearby waves have plenty of breaks on offer to cater to intermediate and expert surfers as well. Surfers are split up depending on ability, so if you’re an intermediate/expert surfer, you basically have a personalized surf guide to get you on the best nearby breaks for your taste.
VIBE: Serene countryside hideaway
LOCALE: Off the beaten jungle path
ROOMS: 6 private rooms
FAMILY FRIENDLY: Yes
CLOSEST AIRPORT: Bandaranaike International Airport (CMB)
PRICING: starting at £1,045 GBP (~$1,240 USD) per person, per week
The lodge is a mix of Sri Lankan flair and modern playful touches. Rich wood furniture and thatched roofs meet polished concrete floors and bright pops of color. Rooms are spacious and minimalist, with light-filled ensuite bathrooms and private verandas with views.
A large open-air communal lounge and dining area looks out to the palm-framed infinity pool with panoramic views of the surrounding countryside. Between surf and yoga bliss, take a pool dip or settle into a perfectly cushioned chaise lounge for ultimate relaxation time.
Eat & Drink
All meals are included in your stay and the food is fantastic — healthy, flavorful, and satisfying. Everything from fragrant Sri Lankan curries to overnight oats, falafels, and banana cakes. Meals are communal and served in the open-air poolside dining area.
In southwest Sri Lanka, the high season is roughly November to April. This time of year brings the best conditions for surfing, so the area comes to life with visiting surfers. May through September is the offseason, and while many breaks aren’t working due to unfavorable winds and swell, there’s still some fun surf to be had. The conditions in Weligama Bay are perfect for beginners year round, so if you’re just learning to surf, any time of year is a great time for a trip.
WATER TEMP: 80 – 84°F (27 – 29°C)
PEAK SURF SEASON: Nov – Apr
SHOULDER SURF SEASON: Aug – Oct
SURF EXPERIENCE: Beginner to advanced
Choose between a ‘Really Nice Room’ in the main lodge or a ‘Cabana Suite’. The Really Nice Rooms are a good size and sleep two. The Cabana Suites have a little more privacy and space set farther away from the main lodge, and are spacious enough for families or a group of friends (or couples who want the most space). Both options come equipped with A/C, en-suite bathrooms, and private verandas with beautiful views. (Contact us directly if you would like to book a Cabana Suite for a family or group of friends.)
All-inclusive weekly retreats at Soul & Surf (7 nights) start on Saturdays and run to the following Saturday. (You can also book a 2-week stay for a total of 14 nights)
Weekly retreats include:
– 7 Nights Accommodation
– Welcome cocktail & cocktail on Friday BBQ Night
– All Meals – tropical breakfasts, light healthy lunches, hearty evening meals
– A beer, glass of house wine or soft-drink with evening meal
– 5 x Surf Lessons across the week (Sun-Fri, with a rest day on Weds)
– 5 x Guided Free-Surf Sessions
– 5 x ‘Soul of Surfing’ Workshops
– 4 x Surf Video Analysis Session
– 7 x Yoga Classes (a mix of Vinyasa, Slow Flow, Pranayma, Meditation & Yin)
– Afternoon Tea & Snacks
– Fruit, Snacks, Tea & Coffee available throughout the day
– Help yourself to as much fruit as you’d like
– Filtered Drinking Water
– Unlimited fresh coconuts
– Weekly Cooking Demo
– Weekly Guided nature walk on property
– Two Trees planted per person (via Mossy Earth)
– A bunch of great people on hand to make sure you have a good time
* There is also a ‘non-surfer’ option available if you (or someone in your group) isn’t interested in surfing. Please get in touch with us to check options and availability.
* If you would like to visit with children, please contact us directly at email@example.com so we can best accommodate you. If you are traveling in a group of 3, an extra bed can be added to any room, for 20% off the per person rate, or you can book a room for solo occupancy with the other package.
CHECK IN: 3pm
CHECK OUT: 11am
Rates are based on Double Occupancy (2 guests in one room), Single Occupancy (a solo traveler who would like a private room), or a Shared Room (for solo travelers who want to share a room with another traveler of the same gender).
* Pricing is in pound sterling (GBP). For pricing and options for kids, please submit an inquiry and let us know your request in the comments.
Double Occupancy & Shared Rooms (“Really Nice Room”):
– Oct 1 – Nov 12: £1,045 GBP per person, per week
– Nov 12 – May 6: £1,345 GBP per person, per week
– HOLIDAY: Dec 17 – Jan 7: £1,535 GBP per person, per week
Double Occupancy (“Cabana”):
– Oct 1 – Nov 12: £1,195 GBP per person, per week
– Nov 12 – May 6: £1,495 GBP per person, per week
– HOLIDAY: Dec 17 – Jan 7: £1,685 GBP per person, per week
Single Occupancy (limited availability):
– Oct 1 – Nov 12: £1,635 GBP per person, per week
– Nov 12 – May 6: £1,935 GBP per person, per week
– HOLIDAY: Dec 17 – Jan 7: £2,125 GBP per person, per week
Good to Know
Soul & Surf has incredibly skilled massage therapists on site who do excellent body work. Massages are an additional cost, paid in cash onsite, and we highly recommend them.
Ahangama, Sri Lanka
Fly into Sri Lanka’s international airport in Colombo, Bandaranaike International Airport (CMB). Airport pick ups and drop-offs can be arranged when booking and are roughly 16,000 Sri Lankan rupees, (approximately $45 USD) paid directly to the driver. from/to Colombo airport. The drive as around 2.5 hours each way. Alternatively, you can get from Colombo to southwest Sri Lanka by train or bus, which takes around 3.5 hours.
The Small Print
Terms and Conditions
A 25% deposit is required to make the booking and the remaining balance is due 30 days before you arrive to confirm the booking. Any extras you would like to purchase will be arranged and paid for when you are at Soul & Surf.
– If you make a cancellation 30 days or more prior to your check-in date, the cancellation charge (per person) is the deposit paid at the time of booking. – If you make a cancellation 0 – 29 prior to your check-in date, the cancellation charge per person is 100% of the travel arrangements. – More details in full Terms and Conditions below.
SOUL & SURF LIMITED — BOOKING CONDITIONS & KEY RIGHTS